Monday, April 26, 2010

Yes You Can!


Well, I did it. I completed the OKC ½ Marathon this past Sunday.

I ran the entire 13.1 miles without stopping, which was my main goal. I was determined not to stop. I don’t know how many times I told myself, “Do Not Stop,” or “Keep on Going.” It was a total mental game for me, trying to psyche myself out to the finish line.

Mile 5, I was wanting to take a pit break, mile 10, I didn’t think I could go on any further…then I got to mile 11, and I started crying. (well, I got misty eyed) I am still not sure if I was tearing up out of desperation/pain or because I knew I was going to reach my goal. I think a little bit of both.

The OKC Marathon did not disappoint this year. Crowds and crowds of people lined the streets to cheer people on. It’s amazing to see the amount of support the local neighborhoods give. True “Okie” style. There’s a news segment on one of the OKC news stations titled “Is this a great state or what?” I thought that many times as I was stumbling through the streets of Oklahoma City.

My official time was 2 hours, 29 minutes and 3 seconds. Much improvement from my poor 2 hours and 52 minutes last year. (DISCLAIMER: I am a SLOW runner.)

There are many motivators in the OKC half marathon- one of them being what the race stands for. Running in memory of all the people that were affected or lost their lives on April 19th, 1995. As I was running I just kept thinking how thankful I am to even be able to do the run, and it kept me going.

I am still trying to figure out how people run the full marathon. I am not going to lie- around mile 9’ish I started thinking how stupid this was, and asking myself why I was putting myself through this? Of course, once I finished, I know why I do it, and I know I will be doing it again. But still… I don’t think I could get my motor to go 13.1 more miles.

In fear of sounding like an ultimate cheese ball, I have something to say: I really think you can do whatever you put your mind to. In 2007, I could not even run a mile. I literally thought I was dying when I tried and would blame it on asthma. (I grew out of asthma before I was 10 years old.)

So like they used to sing on saved by the bell: ‘PUT YOUR MIND TO IT, GO FOR IT, GET DOWN AND BREAK A SWEAT, ROCK AND ROLL….YOU AIN’T SEEN NOITHING YET!

Agh, got to love Jessie Spano, Kelly Kapowski and Lisa Turtle.

**That is my neice and I after the run, with our medals. She ran the Kids Marathon.

2 comments:

  1. That is the sweetest picture! So proud of you Ande- please make sure I partake in this next year! So awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great pic!! It really is an accomplishment to cross that finish line, 13 miles is a lonnnggg way. I loved how you said it was a "mental game", a strong/positive will really makes a difference in so many areas of life. and p.s. Katy Trail 5k is going to be such a breeze for you...child's play for the half marathoner...

    ReplyDelete