Monday, May 24, 2010

Found

Last night's finale was one of the best episodes of television I have ever watched. Honestly, I don't think I would change one thing. For those of you who are Lost fans, I am sure you have your own mix of emotions about the finale. For those of you who aren't, I am sure you don't really care. But, taking into account my own feelings and the fact that this is my blog, I am going to let you know what I think because I care a great deal :)

Like I said in my previous post, I started season 1 of Lost as a DVD viewer as I didn't start watching until 2007 (the end of season three). That would make me a three year devotee. I believe that since I started watching Lost, literally the biggest mystery (other than real life spiritual ones) in my life has been what the HELL is going on on that island. Leading up to last night's finale that was all I wanted to know. What are the answers Damon and Carlton? Why was Walt different? What was the island? Why couldn't women have babies there? And so on and so forth. I, like many others, still don't know these answers after last night. But, I feel like I understand now why I don't. I am not meant to know.

(If you think this has been cheesy so far, get ready, it gets worse).

To me, the theme of the show that was represented by the End is that it is not this lost, magical, effed up island that we should be worried about. It is the people who were tested by it and their relationships and destinies that were intertwined with it that mattered. The unanswered in Lost is just like the unanswered in real life. We won't really know what it is until we die and so during our time here we are all left in the dark. We never can, and shouldn't try, to know. The island, the mythology, all of it, is not important. What is important is the characters. I totally get it, and I totally love it. I didn't love the show because of the smoke monster, the Dharma initiative, Jacob, or the four-toed statue. I loved the show because of the characters (esp Jack, Desmond, Sayid, and Charlie...sigh). In the end they realized their destinies in spite of the craziness they endured and found that the plane crash was the best thing that ever happened to them because it brought them together. So, they really did tell us why they were there. They were supposed to be there and it was all supposed to happen because it was their destiny. As viewers, this is what they were trying to tell us all along. This is what mattered. The rest should remain a mystery because that's exactly what it was to everyone on the island until the very end. A friend and fellow lost fan who joined me for the finale last night, Lacy Montgomery, said to me this morning: telling us what the island was would be like explaining the meaning of life. I couldn't agree more. I am so glad they didn't try.

So, I am not bothered that I don't know the answers to my questions. I don't really even care anymore. I have an even greater appreciation for this show than I ever did before. I am going to watch the finale over and over again this week, and I am going to love it more and more every time. Lost is about the mystery, not about the answers. I feel foolish that I thought it would be the reverse in the end. And, I am so thankful that it wasn't. Because, if it had been it would have been entertaining, but it wouldn't have been Lost. And, that is what makes me love this show so much. I truly believe we were given the best end that ever could have been created. I can't tell you how happy I am that Claire and Charlie ended up together forever...and I even enjoyed the MO sesh between Sayid and Shannon.

I am now a bigger fan of this show than I ever was before. I am so sad that it is over, but now that I know how it ends I am even more excited to start it all over again just to love it even more.

Haters beware. You are no match for me today. I love LOST.

Jack is my hero,

SES

No comments:

Post a Comment