Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Sore Core

Yesterday morning, by nothing short of a miracle, I woke up at 6am and went to a Core Fusion class at the Exhale Spa at the Palomar at 6:15am. Some of you might not think this is a very big deal, but considering that I am literally a venomous beast in the mornings before 9:30 and have been known to scare my entire family and my best friend with my wicked behavior upon rising, this was a VERY big deal for me.

After years of attempting to wake up "early" I have never been successful. In fact, I have been so unsuccessful that one might consider me borderline insane that I even keep trying to do so. I would say that I have failed over a thousand times, and have been successful maybe 20. The only time I wake up early with a smile on my face is to catch a flight for a vacation. And, even then, you probably don't want to sit next to me once I make it on the plane.

I also despise physical activity. So much so that I have successfully avoided working out my entire life. I ALWAYS have an excuse not to, and it usually just involves me being lazy. I love to do yoga and I love to go on leisurely walks, but that is it. And by love I really mean I love to do those things every other month or so. I have an unused exercise bike sitting in my bedroom collecting dust. Why can't I just get on that thing for 20 minutes while I watch the Today Show? I don't have an explanation. I just don't do it.

But, now I am faced with the reality that my brother is getting married in two months, and I am the maid of honor, and I will be looking at the pictures from this wedding for the rest of my life. So, I woke my ass up on Tuesday morning and went to Core Fusion and suffered way more than anyone else in the class. Good thing I had to keep my mouth shut and concentrate on my breathing, had I engaged in conversation with the instructor, I probably would have been asked not to return.

If any of you aren't familiar with Core Fusion, I suggest you look it up. It is the most intense workout class I have ever done. Even the most "in shape" friends I have are challenged by it. You leave drenched in sweat and really lightheaded...or at least I did.

Today I am so sore I can barely even walk. I feel like I am walking around like a cow poke who has very limited range of motion in her shoulders. But, my vanity is keeping me inspired and I will be returning again tomorrow for some more torture. It is funny though, I am kind of excited about it. Maybe this sore core is changing this evil morning person into a ray of sunshine and butterflies. Or, maybe, I really am insane.

In dire need of some Potassium,

SES

1 comment:

  1. I believe it was Jane Fonda who said, "no pain, gain". I think she could have been right, so just embrace that pain!! It will get better :)

    ReplyDelete