Monday, March 8, 2010

Operation Oscars: 70%

So as most of you could have guessed, I did not watch 7 movies this weekend. Instead, I watched two. All in all I saw the following best picture contenders:

1. Up
2. Up in the Air
3. Avatar
4. The Blind Side
5. The Hurt Locker
6. A Serious Man
7. Inglorious Basterds

I did not see:

1. An Education
2. Precious
3. District 9 (though I am likely going to watch this one sometime this week)

Nor did I see these two Best Actor nominated movies that I wanted to see before the big show:

1. A Single Man
2. Crazy Heart

Because I believe in extra credit, I am not going to count those two, making my final grade a 70% not a 58%. I realize it is not that much better, but it is a passing grade, and Cs get degrees.

Anyway, I have to say that of all the Oscar movies I saw, Up in the Air was by far and away my favorite. I could have told you that it would be before I ever saw it, hello Clooney, but I really ended up loving it much more than I thought I would. In fact, it might be one of my all time favorites.

But, I did think that the Hurt Locker deserved to win last night. That movie was simply amazing, and I think that everyone should take the time to see it. It is out on DVD already so it won't be that hard to make arrangements. I downloaded it on iTunes and watched it on my computer yesterday afternoon. I have to say, although I will never understand what war really feels like for the men and women fighting it, this movie gave me a whole new perspective on what I think it must be like, and I was absolutely moved by it. I am so glad I watched it.

One final note on movies from last night, I did happen to come across a little gem called In the Loop a few months back. This is hands down one of the best movies I have ever seen. It was nominated for best adapted screenplay. If you enjoy laughing, watch this movie!

Even though I didn't achieve my goal of 12 Oscar movies before last night, and even though I lost a bet in the meantime, last night was the first time ever I had gone into it seeing that many movies that had been nominated, and I found it thoroughly enjoyable. I think I will make this a repeat goal for next year, but I will just have to get started a little bit earlier.

No comments:

Post a Comment