Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Han Solo, Super Me, and Ghandi


I am sure you are confused right now. Let me explain...

As many of you know, I thoroughly enjoy science fiction and fantasy. I love imagining a world where wizards, dragons, and super heroes really exist. I really think it all started the first time I ever saw Star Wars as a child. I wanted to BE Princess Leia and I wanted to marry Han Solo (I still do btw look at him up there all devilish, darling, and defiant).

So, basically, I think about this kind of stuff everyday: What if I was a wizard? What if I had this super power or that super power? What if I could get in my De Lorean and travel back in time with Doc Brown? How would I use these abilities and who would benefit from them besides just me? (Hello DORKY side of Sarah).

Just this morning I was evaluating the pros and cons of being bullet proof. Literally this is what goes through my head: If I was bullet proof, I don't know how that would benefit anyone other than me unless I was in the right place at the right time, like that girl who could turn into diamonds in X-Men Origins: Wolverine. And it would really only help me out if I was in the wrong place at the wrong time...like on my dad's farm during deer season. In order for this to be really helpful, I would have to literally seek out trouble to make a difference, and I still couldn't do much in the way of rebuilding communities or attacking bad guys...or even flying to Paris on a whim. So, I don't think I would want to be bullet proof.

So I am sure right now you are wondering, well what super power would Sarah want to have? Well friends, it is telekinesis. I have this dream at least once a week (so far this week I am going strong at two nights out of two) that I am trying to save the world and that I have discovered this ability to move things with my mind. Last night it was a bunch of ice and rocks being hurled at me that I was repelling by just holding up my hand. Often, I throw people against walls, open gates that are locked shut, and stop trains from hitting my friends and family. Yes, I am THAT WEIRD.

Before you run away laughing, I do have some "wisdom" I'd like to share. I think the reason I have all of these dreams and wishes of being Super Me is that I really strive everyday to make a difference in the world around me. It would be so much easier to do if I could hop on a plane to Haiti and just rebuild Port au Prince with my bare hands. But, I can't. So I will settle for $50 donations here and there, dropping off clothes at Genesis every couple of months, and always offering to help out when I am asked (unless it is before 8am). So to all of you muggles out there, I say this: keep dreaming of and acting like a better version of you so that hopefully one day we create a better version of our world.

My favorite quote of all time: Be the change you wish to see in the world.

Thanks Gandhi...and Han :)

No comments:

Post a Comment